Monday, December 28, 2009

winter mercury glass



the january 2010 issue of martha stewart living has inspired me to create my own sparkling mercury glass. this is the inspiration pic.


here are the few things you need to create this simple craft:

-clean beaker glass or some such sort of glass container. i used an old yankee candle glass jar that was thoroughly cleaned by the human backhoe....thanks h.b. for getting that glass sooooo clean.

-metallic silver spray paint or mirror spray paint(i was unable to find this.......so i used the silver spray paint)

-spray bottle with tap water

-drying rack

-newspaper and tape




wrap the glass beaker with newspaper to protect the outside from overspray.

the glass is lightly sprayed with a mist of water and then follow with a light spray of a mirror/silver metallic spray paint.

invert and dry on wire rack to allow air circulation. repeat with another layer of spray paint...if you want.




here's the finished glass........with two coats of silver mettalic paint.



finally a pic of my new old mercury glass beaker amoungst several other similar pieces i already had(will add some white tulips or roses for new year's eve celebration).....looks like january to me.

6 comments:

  1. Like the new look here at Sweetwater Bend! Very pretty wintry decoration. I am NOT crafty nor talented at this kind of thing so I will enjoy your talented pretty mercury glass. Glad you all are home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great ideal! I wanted to welcome you to my blog. I look forward to getting to know you, so don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this so cool! Thanks for posting. Will have to try this sometime :-)

    Cute blog you have, I will be following!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this great idea....I tried the mirror spray paint on a cloche, but didn't really like the result. I am definitely going to try it with the spray water. These are wonderful.
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I have stumbled upon your blog while trying to research mercury glass lamps. I have an original antique mercury glass lamp that I am going to sell on Ebay in a week. I am trying to get information on it. I know that it is old and that it used to be an oil lamp, but it has been converted to an electrical lamp.

    Anyway, here are some pics of the lamp on tiny pic...

    http://tinypic.com/m/99knko/1

    http://tinypic.com/m/99knpl/1

    http://tinypic.com/m/99mjk6/1

    If you or anyone else has any information or are interested please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

living the log home life...........
thanks for visiting.