Sweetwater Shed's Favorite Santa's Whiskers
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
3 cups shredded coconut
1 cup chopped candied cherries (the kind you use in fruitcake)
1. Beat butter, sugar, egg, milk, extracts, and salt until well mixed. Mixture may look curdled.
2. Add flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
3. Add 2 cups of the coconut (reserving 1 cup for later) and the candied cherries to the batter. Mix until evenly combined.
4. Chill dough at least 2 hours. Overnight works well.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Form dough into ball shapes and roll each ball in remaining coconut that has been placed in shallow bowl.
7. Place on Silpat or parchment lined cookie sheets.
8. Bake 10-14 mins. I bake mine for 12 mins. Or until coconut barely starts to brown.
Makes approx. 45 cookies.